[Jacob-list] Help, Is this one of those scams?

Gotothewhip at aol.com Gotothewhip at aol.com
Mon Dec 10 16:00:07 EST 2007

I received this email.. The email address it is sent from is a gmail.com
account. I was worried that this might be one of those scams where they want
to send you a (fake) cashiers check adn then want $ back.. But if that is the
case, She seems pretty educated. I thought Id ask my sheep folks if they
have had any trouble with this....

I have some rams advertised. They are show quality (One of them was Gr. Ch
at Estes Park Wool Fest) SO I *think* that is where she got my info....

Here are the emails:

1st one:

Dear Jennifer:

I am from Zimbabwe and have recently bought 15 acres east of Colorado
Springs.

I am looking for a small flock of registered pure bred Jacobs and a small
flock of primitive breed wethers for fleece such as Shetlands, Icelandic,
Navajo Churro and Black Welsh Mountain.

Are you able to help me in any way?

Heather McLaren

My Reply:

I do have some nice Jacobs for sale right now. They are show quality, but
are ram lambs.

I assume you are needing these for spinning?

Due to being taken a few years back on an out of the US deal,,, I thought Id
let you know, up front, I only accept cash for purchases. and do not do any
of the games with over-paying for them and sending you the remainder.

Her Response:

I've just sold my franchise business and they were low down nasty rotten
scoundrels so I appreciate your cash up front policy. Once burned, twice shy!

Interested in your ram lambs but was also hoping to get 3 ewes.

I will be breeding British Soays so don't want too big a flock of Jacobs but
do want first class stock from a reliable breeder who takes good care of her
animals - and you come with that recommendation! Why I am interested is
because the feral Soays on St Kilda off the Western Hebrides are a far older
breed yet have 2 horns and when grass is good, they breed up their feral numbers
- so more parasites - which overwhelm the sheep and the population drops back
- less food for parasites - so sheep gain ground again. What is so
interesting is the survivors in the population drops, tend to be the ones with scurs
which are the rudimentary knobs of the prior 4-6 horns. What is also so
interesting is the Hebridean sheep which came later are 4 horned and were on the
adjacent piece of olde volcano rim which forms the St Kilda Islands 60 m
towards Iceland off the Western Hebrides. And no one knows why. After I went to see
these, I went to North Ronaldsay, the most northern island in the Orkneys
where they have a less ancient but still extremely old flock living on seaweed
and what they can scavenge on the beaches there. And these have rudiments of
more horns but are generally 2 horned too. Ever so curious but hence my deep
interest in Jacobs.

Then, just for fleece - I want to get a little wether flock of other
primitive breeds and the curiosity there is Shetlands and Icelandics seem so similar
yet Shetland doesn't felt well and Icelandic does. So I was thinking
Churros, Icelandic, Shetland and Black Welsh Mountain.
Those are just for pure fun and to gain an understanding of how different
breeds have different characteristics.

Heather McLaren

My Follow-Up:

I can put you in contact with some folks with other breeds as well....

How old do you need the ewes? Any specifics on colors and markings and horn
number prefences?

We had Grand Champion Ram , Ewe & Flock at the Estes Park Wool Festival (one
of the big ones in the country)

If your looking for Quality, I do have that ram available for sale. He is a
2 horn, but is sired by a 4 horn, and his dam also has 4 horns. His
markings are PERFECT and his fleece handles like a dream! He is going to have very
tight curling horns like his Brother, who was Res. Champion at Estes Park! We
are using him as a herd sire as he is 1 year older.