[Jacob-list] Destructive ram

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 16:38:49 EDT 2007

Pricing of livestock seems to vary a lot. In IA, they (Crafts) seem to get premium prces $400+ for their Jacobs. I have paid $200 for an out ram from IN. I mostly sell my stock for under $200 - closer to $150 or less for a ram (in OH). I will also trade stock. My friend Kelly sold a 2007 ram she needed to get rid of for $50 to a youth. I sold an Amish guy a $75 ram to go with some $150 ewes he bought last fall). It depends. If someone buys a Breed CH or blue ribbon animal, I give them the ribbon the sheep won. Last fall I sold a ewe to a kid for $100, but he ended up bringing her back in 3 days as they could not stand the noise she made! I still have that ewe - she went to the Ohio State Fair and I will not promote selling her unless someone specifically wants THAT ewe. Last spring I had a ewe with a flakey horn (but she had already passed registration) and someone came and looked over the sheep and wanted her because she was the friendliest. She went for $200
(bred to a lilac ram) and produced a ewe lamb within a week after she left (and buyer was happy as she got 2 2006 ewes and their ewe lambs (and no rams!)

Sorry, no advice on destructive ram. I have to part ways with them if they get too pushy. My brother is a big guy and he can handle the 2005 guy when he is here.

Gotothewhip at aol.com wrote:
Well.. You all were right on the money.. His abusing of the barn turned to abusing of me on Saturday! I was turning he and his friend out and he turned on me.. and nailed me.. SO his days are now LIMITED! I was able to snatch him up quickly, flip him over and hold him down.. He is now acting afraid of me (for now) but challenged my husband yesterday!

Additionally.. I'm putting together a website.. Any tips or suggestions of what I should include when offering animals for sale? Specific pictures? at what angle?

Im listing a few lambs (OBVIOUSLY NOT BY THE ABOVE RAM.. I just got him last month) That I would be interested in selling or trading for ewe lambs or a ram of an outside bloodline....

How important are show records? Any advice on pricing?

I will be selling a Feb. Ram lamb, he was Grand Ch. Classic breeds at Estes Park Wool Festival (beat out several breeds and a few other Jacobs) Judged by Leddy Cline.

I will also be selling the class winners of the other classes.... ( We had a really fortunate show)

I have three 2-horn rams and two-4-horn rams.

Being new into the breed... I'm really needing input here.

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn. Ranch
Bennett, CO