[Jacob-list] Rams for Sale/Trade/Loan

Joseph Laughlin phl2jdl at msn.com
Mon Aug 27 12:22:21 EDT 2007

We have 9 very nice rams on our little farm - far more than we can house and feed, but way too nice to send to market, including two now retired senior citizens who have done a nice job for us over the years! I am hoping that some of these rams will find homes in other breeders' flocks where they can contribute to improving their respective breeds All of them are very nice representatives of their type or they wouldn't still be here. Almost all of them have been shown by my daughter in various 4-H and regional shows, including the Md. S & W Festival. All but two are halter trained and she is now working with them. Our farm is in the scrapie certification program. We test all adult sheep annually for OPP. We are OPP negative and foot rot free. We plan to show some sheep at the Garden State Show in mid-Sept. in central NJ and can bring sheep there for delivery/exchange. Our farm is located less than a mile from Exit 2 of the NJ Turnpike in South Jersey. Here is the lineup:

Jacob ram lamb born 4/07: A handsome Jacob ram lamb with an excellent 4-horn set and a very nice fleece. Does not have muzzle or leg color (just color on his lower lip), but has both eye patches and color evenly distributed over his body. His twin sister was the darkest of our lambs with color feet, color muzzle, etc. so the color gene is there. (His mother was the darkest of her lamb class too with all the markings.) This lamb is available for sale, or for trade for a similar quality 4-H ram lamb or yearling. We are particularly interested in conformation, fleece quality and personality. Color muzzle and legs preferred but if not and the color genetics are there that is okay too. (Sire: Stratton Hall Travis, Dam: Stratton Hall Leah.)

Stratton Hall Travis - 3 yr. old 2-H ram with excellent fleece and conformation. A past Best Fleece winner and Reserve Ch. at Md S& W, Travis is a well-behaved ram. My daughter won her Fitting and Showmanship class with him this summer. Looking to lend him to another breeder in return for the loan of a similar quality ram, yearling or older, to breed this fall to 3 ewes related to Travis. Travis was codon tested resistant to scrapie (RR).

Lance, a Wensleydale/Border Leicester cross ram lamb born 3/07. Mom is a registered white Border Leicester with Santa Claus curls and color genetics. Dad is a natural color ram, 85% Wensleydale, 15% Cotswold. Lance has long lustrous white curls and the Wensleydale's characteristic blue/grey face. Nice conformation and personality too. Was shown successfully over the summer including a grand champion ribbon. Would be a great addition to a spinner's flock.

Horned Dorset ram lamb, born 4/07. A smoothly built ram, great horn set, old-fashioned Dorset style, and nice personality. As a plus, he also has a nice spinning quality medium fleece like many of the old fashioned Horned Dorsets. Would make a good flock sire for your market flock. Mom, Dad, and twin sister are staying.

Jesse and Hugh the Man, 3-year old twin Border Leicester/Corriedale crosses. Their dad is one of our senior citizens, a Border Leicester/Corriedale cross natural color ram. Their mother was a natural color registered Border Leicester ewe with a finer type Border Leicester fleece (not Santa curls.) We lost her a year ago so we will keep one son and let the other go, however it works out. Both are excellent rams, structurally correct, long loins, with the gentlemanly Border Leicester personality. Jesse is natural color, originally had a black fleece now a silvery gray, with his mother's fleece type, and twice a Supreme champion. Hugh the Man is a lustrous white with curly locks. He has taken many grand ch. ribbons.

If you are interested in any of these rams please e-mail me privately for price and photos. Because my priority is to see them placed in good homes for breeding use, price is negotiable. For some of the rams we have ewes that could also be purchased with them for breeding groups. If you know someone who might be interested please feel free to forward this message. Thanks!

Jo Ann Laughlin, Stratton Hall Sheep and Herb Farm