[Jacob-list] judging criteria for mixed breed classes

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Mon Aug 27 05:21:50 EDT 2007

"I would have thought that in a mixed breed class each sheep would be judged for conformance to its own breed standard."
It will vary according to the judge and the event we are dealing with. I think that most of the long time judges will have profitability of the sheep in the back of their mind. Certainly every breed should be judged for its own breed characteristics. One judge in a wool show class pointed out that even wool producers have to make a major part of their income from meat production. (Our profitability in Jacobs Sheep in this regard has to come from reduced input...we look for pounds of lamb per acre, not pounds of lamb per lamb.)

At any rate, the more these odd looking guys are out there, the more people will appreciate them. We know what we have. Just smile at the bottom of the class and know that your Jacob ram can take that stupid Suffolk that looks purty set up but can hardly walk out behind the barn and wipe the ground with him.

Neal