[Jacob-list] Destructive ram

JACI SIEHL wedohoney at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 24 15:51:03 EDT 2007

I have heard great things about a leather shield that goes int he front of their face. I saw them in a supply catalog and is supposed to block their forward vision so they don't ram things (kind of the reverse for blinders on horses). It might be worth a try - has anyone else used these?

Gotothewhip at aol.com wrote: Hi all.. I thought raising rams was a no-biggie until this fella came along! All my boys co-mingle out of breeding season.. But not this fella.. I took him in as he needed a home. He has managed to bang up so much of my place I'm pretty disgusted with him.

We are still building our place, and making our breeding pens.....My barn was set up as a horse show barn.....

He has figured out that if he slams his head into my pretty sliding doors, hard enough, and often enough, he can actually BEND the channel that keeps it in place, and he and his little girlfriend can escape.....(She came with him)

So we put up a pipe gate in front of the slider to take the brunt of his abuse. that seems to be working well FOR NOW.

This weekend we are building him a 1/4 acre pen..... Woven wire, T posts wood corner braces.... He has a small shelter in there (7x12)

I think.. knowing this guy is destructive.. putting an eye level hot wire might be a good plan.... and giving him a re-shear so he will get more of a zap from the fence....

Does this sound reasonable?

I don't know what we will do with him after breeding season, as I cant deal with this! He is a sweet honey of a fella but I don't know if a bullpen would hold him!