[Jacob-list] Meat Sheep Judges (again)

JACI SIEHL wedohoney at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 24 15:29:01 EDT 2007

Good news, bad news......I had the only Jacob sheep at a recent show (actually the only wool-type sheep). The first thing the judge said to me was that he recognized them, but did not know anything about them. So my guys all placed near or at the bottom against Dorset, hamps, cheviot, etc. But he did make some positive comments to me and to the audience as he announced the winners. He also told me that if he had known there were Jacob in the show he would have looked them up so he would be prepared. He also stated that he was always interested in seeing different breeds in the shows because that helps keep the interest for the general public.

I thanked the judge for his honesty and for his remarks. I also let him know that he will be seeing my sheep at a lot more shows and that I am getting other breeders (Shetland, Wensleydales, etc) involved so we may soon need just a wool division.

I had asked the fair staff a week ago if the judges knew what breeds were being shown because most judges aren't familiar with my breed. Their reply was, "yes, of course. Our judges are fully prepared to judge all the sheep that will be in the shows". Obviously they didn't know what they were talking about.

Even though this year was not what I hoped it would be, I am really looking forward to next year and will show any sheep I can (even those that I know aren't top notch), just to get the exposure. And I am showing at the California State Fair next week in the Heritage Breed. This will be the first time I'll be against other similar sheep and probably with a knowledgeable judge - this will be very interesting and educational, I'm sure.

I have had inquiries for locker lambs, fleeces, and next year's lambs while at the show. I know I won't hear from most people, but at least we are being noticed.