[Jacob-list] Judges

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 7 10:31:31 EDT 2007

Last year we had a good judge at the Knox Co Fair - even tho we did NOT win, he expalined he was doing our (all other class 40% on fiber and 60% on conformation - and in the ewe lamb class a Shetland won and took Ch ewe over the Merinos!

The next fair was Ok but we had no others in our class and the judge just thanked us for bringing the unusual sheep! The last fair, the judge did not show up until late and everything was rushed and a mess!

This year at Knox we had a meat judge from Bucyrus who ALWAYS put the Shetlands last and us next to last. A tunis won one class, and Merinos won the rest. There were some nice looking natural colored in our class as well - looks like they need a meat all others and fiber all others.

Fri is the Richland show and the Morrow show will be later. I sent a ewe to the Ohio State Fair to be in a 20 different breeds educational exhibit and she will come home Sat, not having been judged of course.

2 vs 4 horn - I avoid taking 4H ewes anywhere due to ease of horn breakage, even moving from barn out is a risk, Last year I had a nice pair of 4H yearling ewes but this year only 2H girls are being exhibited. I will keep a coupe 4H lambs for NEXT year's fair, unless someone coms along and HAS to have them in their flock. Today I am selling a starter flock of 2 2H and 2 4H ewes to go with a 2H ram offspring of a 2005 4H ram lamb I sold someone else.
Donna Grassick is chipping in her 4H ewe that had triplets this year - this is to an experienced sheep guy that is trying Jacobs for the fiirst time (otherwise, I would be more careful about including a prolific ewe such as this).

Sue Roenke <oliveoyl_123 at hotmail.com> wrote:
Our experience at our 4H Fair the end of July was very good as far as the
judge was concerned. He was the same judge we had the year before and didn't
seem to know much about Jacobs last year, he bascially picked the biggest
one (same as our experience at the NY State Fair), but this year, the judge
studied up on Jacobs and he knew so much more of what is standard for
Jacobs! We were judged againist Border Leisters. So, Marie actually won 4
trophies with her Jacobs this year - never expecting that at all! Marie
went up to the judge afterwards and he said he didn't know what she did
different this year but her sheep looked much better. She ahs been grazing
them with Premier electric fencing so maybe that helped, but I think also
having him study about Jacobs made a difference too! One of the questions
he asked Marie was where was the secetary of the JSBA live, which of course
she knew. :-)
Sue (and Marie)