[Jacob-list] sheep show concerns

Marguerite Van Beek pegvanbeek at msn.com
Mon Aug 6 12:17:18 EDT 2007

I hope all had a good time at the AGM this year. the Sussex County Farm and HS as a very sad affair.
Evidently the Jacobs were all there but the other breeds decided to skip this show due to a numerous concerns one of which was the judge. I never met this judge but now I know why. the first class was the yearling jacobs.
I had a two horn and four horn. After he placed my four horn first he told me something that was very upsetting.
He stated" In my country, (which is Ohio I have no idea what that meant) they don't show their two horn jacobs, they leave them home and cull them because a two horn could be a cross-bred" I couldn't believe what he said!
I immediately told him that was absolutely false, that I have a half jacob ewe that has perfect four horns, and she is a crossbred. That a two horn and a four horn are acceptable jacobs!!!!! Well, all thru the entire jacob class all four horns regardless of their overall appearance were placed first and the two horn last. What a shame!!!!
I know a lot of the Jacob breeders only breed four horn that is their preference fine, but to tell a judge or have a judge interpret that all jacobs have to be four horn is wrong. I have run into this before with just new breeders always stated that they have to have a four horn because a two horn is useless in the breed and has to be culled out. this is why we have problems with judges and will have a problem with the breed and the association if this continues.

Peggy van Beek