[Jacob-list] Housing Goats and Sheep together

Robin Lynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Sun Apr 29 12:53:27 EDT 2007

We feed for the sheep requirements. The goats eat the sheep minerals. If I
grain the sheep (rarely) then the goats can eat that. Whenever circumstances
allow it (goats are penned separately for some reason) then they have a
different mineral block available. Sometimes we try to put minerals in a
place where the goats can get to it be the sheep can't (through a fence
panel, higher up, etc), but it's not a great solution and we're not
consistent with that. The milkers get lactating goat grain while being
milked so I feel like they at least get something that they should. By the
way, when I've bought goat minerals they don't eat them--at least the brand
that I've tried. They will eat the sheep salt mix though.
Robin Lynde
Meridian Jacobs
Vacaville, CA
www.meridianjacobs.com