[Jacob-list] (no subject)

CARL FOSBRINK carlfosbrink at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 19:44:56 EDT 2007

Susan,

It has not been that way for us and we use rams with black muzzles, knee and hock patches etc. Our web site shows rams we have used and also some of our ewes and lambs. Please take a look at www.4hornfarm.com.
It does seem that a lamb crop differs from year to year even when using the same sires and dams. Some years you get mostly rams, some years mostly ewes, some years dark lambs and some years not.

Regards,
Carl

Susan J Martin <stcroft at ptd.net> wrote:
As I have been checking fellow Jacob breeder's web sites to see new lambs, I have noticed that there seem to be a lot of very black lambs.......and I also have a few very dark lambs born this year. Has anyone else noticed this? I am wondering if our preoccupation with black feet, knee patches, etc. is creating more black in our lambs. For yrs. I had predominantly white legged Jacobs -- I started out with a Fieldwood ewe and that was sort of the look -- a larger-boned sheep, white legs, black hooves, pigmented muzzle rather than an actual muzzle patch, etc and I used rams that had white legs.........and my lambs were more in the 60/40 range of color. However, as I've been getting more sheep in our flock with more leg color, I am also getting lambs with much more color on their bodies than I would like.

Sue Martin
Stonecroft

Carl and Judy Fosbrink
www.4hornfarm.com