[Jacob-list] Vinegar in water

CARL FOSBRINK carlfosbrink at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 29 20:06:45 EDT 2006

Hello Susan,

      I have used apple cider vinegar in the water for my exhibition poultry for years and for my rabbits too. I use 2 Tablespoons per gallon. It is great for conditioning and many other things. I don't think the ewe to ram lamb ratio has been proven, but it is good for the sheep.

  Regards,
  Carl in Indiana

Susan J Martin <stcroft at ptd.net> wrote:
          Some of you have mentioned in the past using vinegar in the drinking water for your sheep - how much do you put in the water?  i.e. how much per gallon?  Also, how much would I put in the water for chickens - the same percentage as for the sheep?  A local farmer who raises broilers organically mentioned in passing that he uses vinegar in the water and it helps to keep the chickens healthy and prevents bacterial build up in his chicken watering system.....but his volume is so high with thousands of chickens it wasn't helpful for someone like me with a 1 gallon chicken waterer!!    Certainly apple cider is inexpensive and if it helps to keep our flock healthy and maybe even helps to produce more ewe lambs, I'm willing to try it.

  Sue Martin

  Stonecroft Manor
"The meadows are clothed with flocks of sheep...They all shout and sing for joy!"
Psa. 65:13