[Jacob-list] Thin ewe

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 20 12:07:12 EDT 2006

>Yes lots of grain, when i got mandy she her condition was way less than 1,
> just wool draped over bone, not very heavy either, sharon (the one we're
> dealing with now) was about a 2, but now is below a 1. I'm trying to get
> her fattened, i did it slowly and here stool is fine, firm pellets, not
> soft clumps. This much grain was suggested by someone on the list with a
> ewe in my condition.
===========
I agree with some of the others, too much grain is not a good thing, it
upsets the rumen flora.  Like I wrote before concerning Mandy, it would be
much better to feed a good quality alfalfa.  That will fatten ewes for
sure; except if there is something else going on.  BTW, grinding teeth is a
sign that the ewe is in pain, maybe they did pick something up, you
mentioned that there is debris in the paddock.  Yogurt is very good, best
to get it at a health food store so that you get the active cultures.
Probios contains the organisms too, you can get it at the feed store.  If
you can't get alfalfa, some of the companies make a complete feed
containing vitamins and minerals, and usually some whole corn.  I use the
one from Land O'Lakes called Livestock Blend, it doesn't contain copper.
If you get a packaged livestock feed, make certain it is recommended for
sheep.  Don't give them too much and feed it with lots of hay.  But at this
point, alfalfa is best though.  When feeding mostly hay, make certain you
supply minerals formulated for sheep.
Good luck,
Cathy