[Jacob-list] another thin ewe

Tom and Judy Riddolls grey_wethers_farm at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 19 10:37:53 EDT 2006

so three weeks ago one of my ewes died in what looked to be malnutrition.  I
was given some advice on how to fatten my other ewe that came from the same
flock, she was also very robust but in the last few days i have noticed her
getting thin as well.  She is up to 4-5 cups of grain a day, lots of hay and
minerals.  WE wormed the flock sept 1st and will do it again this week.  I
have tried looking on the internet for wasting diseases but am spinning my
wheels.  Does anyone know of a few diseases I should be looking up?  My vet
is not worth calling, he just says give them sugar to keep them going.  This
ewe is currently acting completely normal, trotting about the pasture and
eating lots and walking normal, but she is losing weight, i have begun to
see her hip bones which were never visible before.  Any suggestions?

There are no noxious weeds left in the pasture, only 7 animals on 2 acres,
only one of her lambs is in with her and i have not seen any nursing in the
last week and her bag is dried up by the looks of it.

Mandy was the same way and then in 36 hours she was dead.

tom