[Jacob-list] Fecal Testing

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Fri Nov 10 16:35:48 EST 2006

After attending the FAMACHA workshop in September, I was able to take a fecal testing workshop at SAFF in October. After purchasing an inexpensive microscope and an assortment of supplies, I went out to the pasture and got to work. As much sheep droppings as I shovel out of the barn, you'd think that at least one of the sheep would defecate every few seconds. It must be like the watched pot never boils as 30 minutes later I had only two volunteers. Over the period of three days, I've managed to do fecs on about half the flock (to be honest, I have done other things during the three days than sit on a stump waiting for pellets to drop). The results have really been fascinating. Bear in mind that I'm a real newbie at this and untrained except for a 3 1/2 hour workshop, although it seems a fairly fool proof process. Of the adults I've tested, I found few if any had stomach worm eggs. Eyelid color on the adults (according to the FAMACHA chart) did not indicate that worming was necessary. The lambs showed a higher number of eggs. Two of the lambs had alot more than the others and the eyelid color indicated worming was necessary. Those were wormed and I'll do a follow up fec on them.The other two had good color and few eggs. I haven't gotten to the point where I'm actually counting the eggs. I'm at the "none", "not many", "a few more" and "alot more" stage.

I believe that resistance to dewormers poses a huge problem to sheep flocks. As such, I'm strongly against whole flock worming, but of course want to worm the ones that need it. The combination of FAMACHA and fecs seems like a valuable tool for the shepherd.

Dave wants to see what's in our spring fed drinking water, but since we've been drinking it for two years and haven't gotten sick, I think I'll pass on that. There is such a thing as too much information!

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com