[Jacob-list] Locker lamb

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 5 21:43:00 EST 2006

>I also have 3 ewe lambs that I want to market as locker lamb. How do you
guys go about doing this? Do you butcher yourself? >Do you sell live weight
plus the cost of commercial processing?
========
Hi Bill,
     I usually keep a wether or two for freezer lambs.  I wait a year to
take them to the butcher's shop.  The lambs are rather small so I wait over
winter until they are almost full grown, bigger lamb chops.  The butcher
shop is not as busy in the spring, so they can take their time in humanely
putting down the animal, hanging the carcass and aging the meat.  I don't
sell the packaged meats commercially, I think you need USDA
certification/inspections to do that.  I suppose you could have someone buy
the lamb before it is butchered.  Some people sell 'shares' (farmer is paid
money) of their livestock, so the customers become part owners of the
animals used for food.  It's a way of getting around the regulations.  We
don't do that, we fill our freezer every year.  I do barter with the
neighbors sometimes, trade lamb chops for pork chops or garden produce.

Also find a butcher that will make different kinds of sausages, like
Chorizo sausage, for when you want some variety or have to take in an older
sheep, it happens once in awhile.

Oh yes, ask them to carefully trim off the pelt so you can process it for a
beautiful sheepskin.  When you are ready for that, ask the list and we will
give you instructions on preparation and where to send them for tanning.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho