[Jacob-list] Question about horn genetics, scurs and breeding

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Fri May 19 22:13:25 EDT 2006

Check our site for Jacob Sheep for sale

On Fri, 19 May 2006 12:02:15 -0700 (PDT), Sharon Hill wrote:

> I am questioning whether to keep this lamb as an intact ram or not.
I like to use a ram from a dam that has good strong laterals.  The hornless gene is not exhibited in rams, so taking a look at the female line may give a little better idea of what's lurking.

> 2.  Are Jacobs registerable if they have scurs?

Yes, four horned ewes are registerable with scurred laterals, but not with scurred tops.

> 5.  In other words, if others aren't culling for the trait, will it
> make any difference if I do?

I believe most breeders are selecting against the trait, but we have to do so in a way that will not seriously reduce our rather limited gene pool.  I read a really great post on another list from the top breeder in the US of another rare breed (rarer than Jacobs).  I'll contact her for permission to repost, as I think it's worth reading and I'm not articulate enough to paraphrase.