[Jacob-list] Ewe question

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Fri May 19 16:48:50 EDT 2006

--Donna wrote:
> ewe that lambed with twins in March...her wool looks awful..She is a
> quality animal from a reputable breeder- scrapie- free flock. She had
twin ewes at
> her side when I bought her and didn't look like this. She was overdue for
> shearing and was rubbing her neck quite a bit before shearing in Feb. Now
she
> just looks like a moth-eaten carpet.Her wool doesn't even seem to be
growing
==========
Could be from stress or a lice infestation; stress sounds like a big
possibility.  If you dewormed her with Ivermectin it will stop the sucking
lice, but not the biting type.  Lice is a problem in the spring and lessens
toward summer.  If you don't want to use Ivermectin, use a wash of diluted
Permectin and another wash after 14 days.  I had one ewe with signs of lice
and I treated everyone with Ivermectin.  Because of the stress factor,
twins and moving to a new home, etc, maybe take her in to a vet for a quick
exam to see if it is lice before treating her for it  Be sure the ewe is
also getting free choice minerals made for sheep.  She might need some
vitamins too.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho