[Jacob-list] ewe question

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu May 18 17:17:24 EDT 2006

In a message dated 5/17/2006 9:23:01 PM Central Standard Time,
ark at stimmel.calinet.com writes:

> ewe that lambed with twins in March...her wool looks awful..She is a
> quality animal from a reputable breeder- scrapie- free flock. She had twin ewes at
> her side when I bought her and didn't look like this. She was overdue for
> shearing and was rubbing her neck quite a bit before shearing in Feb. Now she
> just looks like a moth-eaten carpet.Her wool doesn't even seem to be growing
> much. I wormed her today- she is not on pasture- just volunteer grass and
> alfalfa. Everyone else looks good!!! Any clues..?? I wormed everyone in the
> fall--and I keep pens pretty clean .

Consider the sources of stress: delivery and olactatinfg lambs, twins, new
location, diet change?, etc.  I'd be less concerned about scrapie and think
about shearing before it "felts".  Wool that breaks, sheds, etc, can felt or mat
up on the ewes body and depending upon your climate can set up heat stress or
pnemonia.  Surprised she wasn't sheared or crutched pre-lambing if she was
given a booster CDT for her lamb and colostrum.  Shearing/crutching, booster shot
4-6 weeks before lambing can be a positive step for lamb survival.
Fred Horak.