[Jacob-list] Pregnant Ewes

Unzicker runzicker at erols.com
Fri Mar 31 11:48:54 EST 2006

Hi Cheryl and  Others,
I also grain my ewes and do not usually have a problem with huge lambs.
They get 1/2 lb a day starting about four weeks before the first ewe is due.
What I have noticed is that when a ewe is even only a few days overdue, her
lamb/lambs will be noticeably bigger and horn buds are noticeably bigger
also.  It also seems to be more commom with certain ewe families.   Most of
my lambs this year were in the 6-9 lb range.  Except Joni.  This year she
had a 14 lb lamb.  She has always had bigger lambs but never this big.   But
then, she usually has twins.  She did deliever ok by herself.  I also think
maybe horn buds are bigger at birth on two horn rams.  Not sure that is
always the case but seems to happen more often here.  I sold Joni's daughter
as a bred ewe last fall and the new owner reported she  also had a big lamb
this year as a first time mother.

As for feeding grain right after delivery  -  if it is a yearling or an old
ewe, I do give grain right away.   I also give grain to the others but just
a smidgen, maybe a quarter cup at most.  I guess that is their rewared for a
job well done.  :-)   I really do think they do not need any grain the first
several days but I  admit I have a hard time not giving them any.
Royal