[Jacob-list] Pregnant Ewes

rns1260 at adelphia.net rns1260 at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 31 10:38:14 EST 2006

One of the ewes, I was concerned about had twins yesterday. She needed assistance as the ram lamb was big with pronounced horn buds. We have always fed grain in the winter with grass hay. I personally feel that some of the ewes get more than others and this has caused  over conditioned ewes. This is our first year for more than one lose due to large lambs. I referred to Ingrid Painters book and she made mention that their loss was not as great after they stopped graining before delivery. She also noted not feeding grain for the first two days after delivery. This causes too much milk and the teats becoming engorged and the lambs are unable to suck properly. She does say, that she grains during lactation. This can be found on pages 49 and 50 of  "Jacob Sheep in America" by: Ingrid Painter. Another breeder mentioned that when she grained she noticed the already developed horn buds. This all is food for thought as, I don't like to repeat mistakes.
Thanks for all the responses,
Cheryl
Rise "N" Shine Farm