[Jacob-list] acting odd sheep

Penelope pcj at efn.org
Tue Mar 28 21:50:40 EST 2006

Sometime around 18:06 3/28/2006, Tom and Judy Riddolls typed:

>It is their eyes that are bothering me, ther eis an obvious
>dialation in the pupils, like a diabetic that is way off the scale
>and their blood chemistry is so out of wack their muscles are doing
>funny things.  Also they avoid the bright light.

Ok, it's sounding to me like you've got a vet involved too, which is
good.  I'd wonder about the eyes also, that does sound odd.  Both the
dilation and the avoiding the bright light, although the latter could
well be because of the former.

We haven't fed our ewes during pregnancy for quite a while, mainly
because the entire flock has been too busy out grazing to bother with
coming in for grain.  This year we are seeing grass a little more
sparse, although we are also seeing sheep in our yard due to some
down electric fence lines, supplementing their pasture diet, so
were're working on convincing them grain is a treat worth coming for again.

Lambs, on pasture only, have ranged in weight from one absolutely
tiny, but nursing and following mom just fine one at about 3 lbs by
eye, to a couple bummers at 4 lbs (one part of triplets to a Romany
mix, on part of twins to a Jacob ewe who will move on to somewhere
that she won't be bred again, since this is the second year she's
ditched a lamb), to 7.5lbs for another bummer (bummered due to sharp
little teeth as far as I can tell, and a yearling
mother.)    Everyone else has been the usual hardy can't be caught in
the field sort.

I was horrified when I first heard about folks *not* feeding grain --
here, we've got tons of pasture and they sheep seem to prefer
it.  We're completely willing to offer grain if they want it -- you
know, come in from all that fun rain or snow.  :-).

I'll be interested to hear more about what's going on with your
ewes.  It does sound odd.

--
Penelope Jacob -- ornery, spirited, outspoken & opinionated.
pcj at efn.org or penelope at dreamsandbones.net
www.dreamsandbones.net/bog
keeping Jacob Sheep (with horns, of course, and undocked tails) since 1999
keeping dairy goats (with horns) since 1994

Stonering flock and herd