[Jacob-list] Re: 2006 lambs and sore mouth

Heather Hettick hettick1 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 22 21:37:46 EST 2006

  I wanted to thank those who responded to me on and off the list about their experience or advice about my soremouth problem.

  It seems to be over for now and no people caught it, including my  4 year old son who hates to wash his hands, and it didn't spread through my whole flock so I think I got off pretty easy.  We did go ahead and vaccinate everyone and the main ones affected were my triplet family and a few of their lamb buddies and they all seem recovered now and are continuing to grow well.  One of the triplets actually had pretty obvious scabby nose and mouth and he had it the worst, but mostly they didn't really look bad other than a couple scabs and licking their noses.  Their mother was the one I was most worrried about because she had some sores on her teats but she's back to normal too without complications or treatment other than  keeping an eye on her and making sure everyone was eating.

  The only think I think of is that I may have walked the disease home from where I work.  I found out that the flock at Ohio State ATI got soremouth this summer from a new ram.  They teach the sheep reproduction course in winter and it's been a really muddy winter so I wonder if I might have picked in up in the parking lot somehow.  I haven't brought in any new sheep since October and have only had visitors who have been careful about cleaning boots or not going into the main sheep area, but I may have run home from work a few times to check for lambs without changing into my barn boots.   I can't say for sure how we got it but I guess it's fairly common around this area.

  Heather Hettick
  Moonstruck Farm