[Jacob-list] drought induced deficiency

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Wed Mar 22 08:47:17 EST 2006

HI Sara,

I've heard numerous reports about decreased hay quality from several areas
across the country.  When in doubt about quality, have it tested.   Most county
extension offices
offer this service, often at a reasonable cost or free (like it is here in
WV).  This is a good starting point as a point of prevention of  deficiencies
that may not be evident until its too late.

We are not always able to produce enough of our own hay to winter the flock
so we do have to purchase hay each year.  We have found that weather, of
course, plays a part in quality and quantity of hay but we try to stick with the
same producers -- those we know produce excellent hay year after  year.  Like
any "product" out there, hay is also one of those things that  require
maintenance in order for it to have any quality.  I won't go into  the overuse of
chemical fertilizers here but is can be an issue in long term,  consistent
quality food stuff.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! We keep free choice  mineral
supplements available to our flock year 'round.  We tend to avoid  the block
type supplements (no need to add to teeth wear), instead using the  loose
mineral formulated especially for sheep.  This may not counteract  every possible
problem but I KNOW it isn't contributing to  deficiencies within the flock.

Perhaps other farmers and producers out there can share some light on
specific experiences when dealing with deficiencies in feed.  I've not  heard
anything regarding a Vitamin A problem, but I'm sure someone else may  have.  Let me
know what you may find out!

Cheryl

PS -- Hugs to Henri for me, OK?  Any lambs yet?

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV  26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits