[Jacob-list] How and when to dock lamb's tails

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 16 12:01:09 EST 2006

I like our ewes to have their rectums and vulva areas covered
=========
Good idea, and the length should be the same for the rams/wethers.  There
is a lot of controversy about tail docking.  Some in the show ring circuits
short dock tails or remove them completely so the sheep look meatier.
Sheep need their tails or at least, a certain length.  I always ask the
perspective buyers what they want for their lambs.  If no buyers, I dock
long.  Here is an excellent, recent article about tail docking by Dr. Marie
Bulgin, DVM:

> http://www.sheepandgoat.com/news/index.html

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho