[Jacob-list] Dogs, Sheep & Guardians

SKimbro Sheri at eldoradohoney.com
Wed Mar 15 18:36:31 EST 2006

Hi there,

We have llamas.  We bought a gelding specifically as a guard.  We also have
5 females with him that I think are a deterrent just by being here.  I know
from personal experience, as well as many stories from other shepherds that
llamas DO their job!  I'd recommend temperament testing for guarding though.
Not all llamas will guard.  If you buy from a reputable breeder they will be
able to tell you who will guard well.  They're almost always geldings.

Our animals are out at night in the pasture in a 3 sided shelter (when they
even seek shelter, usually they lay all over the place).  We have Jacob's,
16 hens (they are locked in a coop at night) and pygmy goats.  We also have
many mountain lions, coyotes and dogs and have never lost an animal due to
predators.  I'm sure it's the llama(s)!  Besides that they are SO fun to
have around!

Good luck!

Sheri Kimbro
Ranch Abella