[Jacob-list] Dogs and Sheep

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Wed Mar 15 11:58:55 EST 2006

Nice to see all the great responses and personal experiences with sheep and
dogs!

I've posted this before about my own experience with stray dogs and my own
livestock.  If I see the dog ONCE in/near/around my sheep on my own  property,
it is history.  I do not give a dog an opportunity to return for  a second
chance on taste testing a sheep.  We have been fortunate NOT to  have lost sheep
to dogs or coyotes and I'm sure there are multiple  reasons.  My chief concern
remains highest towards dogs in packs -- NO  MATTER IF THEY ARE SOMEONE'S PET
or not.  Groups of dogs generally mean  trouble for some thing some where.

We utilize woven wire fencing -- a good deterrent but a determined canine
can jump over it or climb fence.  Our Jacobs tend to have a dislike  for dogs in
general.  My basset hound house dog would probably lick one to  pieces while
my husky mix outdoor dog stands guard beside the barn and pen  areas.  I would
trust my basset completely but not the husky -- that run  and chase thing
would be too much for her!  She is penned in a very large  area and her age now
makes the sheep less interesting to do anything other than  watch.  I still am
always careful to make sure her pen is secure.  My  dog has gotten loose a
couple times and, to the best of our knowledge, ran  straight for house to park
on our front porch.

Last summer, I had 3 dogs get into our fencing.  I shot 2 of  them, wounded
the 3rd but never saw it again.  Just last week, we began  tracking a HUGE dog
track in the pastures below the barn, even going up/down the  gravel road we
live on.  Judging from its size, this was a dog that could  have easily done
some damage if it wanted to.   Fortunately, we  managed to catch it in a trap
INSIDE THE SHEEP PEN about 3:30am one  morning.  Even from 100 yards away in the
dark, this dog was snarling and  growling so viciously at my husband that he
was worried the dog might get away  before he could shoot it.  It was a mixed
breed (intact male) and it  appeared to be Rott/Shepherd/??? mix of sorts.
Definitely on the feral  side judging by the animal's general appearance,
possibly dumped off out here in  the country -- who knows.  Either way, it was
determined to get to our  livestock and we were just as determined to eliminate
this predator.

Like many have said,  I do think sheep and dogs can co-exist.   Depends on
both of them as well as what the shepherd(ess) is willing to do (or
tolerate)should an emergency arise.   I would have a difficult  time even keeping one of
my own dogs should one of them attack one of our  sheep.  Our "companion" dogs
are still dogs -- it has only been  within the past 200-250 years that we
domesticated these animals.   Instincts are animal characteristics designed to
help an animal  survive.  I honestly feel that any dog(s) left to their own
devices  would revert back to these "animal instincts" for their own survival.

I'm just glad our Jacobs don't willingly roll over to strange dog, offering
their neck as they surrender like some of the commercialized breeds seem to
do!

Cheryl

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV  26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits