[Jacob-list] Re: Dogs and Sheep

stockdogs stockdogs at comcast.net
Wed Mar 15 11:15:21 EST 2006

I  also have experienced dog-strikes, enough that a few years ago I dispersed my little flock out of fear for their lives.  The main perpetrators (1 pittbull, 1 Rott) were impounded, twice, and I'm assuming PTS after the last impound.  I too love dogs and did not blame them, their owner was a jerk that kept them cabled to a tree and occassioanlly drug a bag of generic dog food out to throw in a bucket.  He was not great about water for them either.   He's moved thankfully.

Not that I've owned a lot of sheep myself but what I have noticed is that sheep are pretty good at reading dogs.  I have been doing stockdog rescue (Border Collies, Cattle Dogs, Kelpies) for 10 years now and have been sporadically taking herding lessons for about that many years also.  I've fostered and re-homed at least 150 dogs and since mostly they're stockdogs I'll often have them tested on sheep.  It's an interesting study to watch the reaction of the sheep, from shear panic, to just keeping out of the way, to out-an-out stubbstare-downdown, or if you're lucky to actually  moving where and when you'd like them to.

A couple of weeks ago I went to help a friend on shearing day.  I was working the chute and holding pen and the sheep (of course) did not want to go up the ramp into the trailer for their coiffe.  There was someone there with her well started BC that was trying to use her dog in the pend to keep the sheep bunched up and headed into the shearing chute but the dog didn't have enough power and the sheep had him cornered.  The poor guy was not happy or confident and the sheep knew it.   I brought in my BC who has less training but more presence and those sheep decided to stay up near the ramp after that.  This same dog will patiently  lie down next to a sheep that has given up and collapsed to (they think) be eaten.  He was also rolled by my ram last weekend and had to give the ram a lesson or two on who was boss after that.  They are still debating and I feel it ended up in a tie.  I'm sure the next time we go out there will be a re-match.

Sally
Sleepy Hollow Sheepdogs
Washington (the state, not the capitol)