[Jacob-list] How much inbreeding is safe?

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Sat Mar 11 19:56:33 EST 2006

HI Matt,

You will probably get a wide variety of responses to your question.   There
are varying opinions on the topic of inbreeding, which I'm  sure you will
receive, but I would not feel qualified to recommend something as  "acceptable" to
another shepherd.

Our farm goals are to provide as wide of a genetic diversity as  possible.
We aim for less than 3% when planning our breeding groups  each fall.  We have
numerous Jacob sheep that have no common relatives  for 10-12 generations back
in their pedigree.  There are also sheep that  have common ancestors going
back 4-7 generations.  I took several  months entering sheep into our Breeder's
Assistant software database, which  calculates the breeding ratio of each
sheep for us.  By utilizing the  "trial mating" feature, we can put lines of each
sheep together in order to get  these low (in some cases, we have 0%)
inbreeding percentages.

Our flock consists of a wide range of bloodlines from all over the country
and we utilize at least 3 different rams each breeding season.  While I
realize this isn't always practical for other shepherds, it does work for  us.
Genetic diversity is one role we consider crucial in our conservation  efforts
here at Painted Rock Farm -- we strive to produce quality Jacobs with as  little
inbreeding as possible.  It will always be a top goal with us.

Good luck in building your flock!
Cheryl

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box  726
Buckhannon, WV 26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits