[Jacob-list] cleaning dirty fleece

Tom and Judy Riddolls grey_wethers_farm at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 8 18:16:30 EST 2006

hello all,
i have to comment on the acid comment.  This is simply not the case.
Vinegar or even full strength acetic acid which will eat through your skin
will not harm cellulose.  Yes, sulphuric acid will - but we are talking
orders of magnitude differences in strength.  You could soak a piece of
grass for a month in vinegar and nothing would happen.  I guess this may
come across as harsh, not at all.  I am a material scientist and an educator
and too often I come across common sense that falls a bit short of the mark,
so I had to speak up.  What may be happening is the vinegar is relaxing the
proteins in the cuticle of the wool, releasing their grip on the bits.

Tom at grey wethers farm