[Jacob-list] cleaning fleeces

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Mon Mar 6 18:28:38 EST 2006

There have been some great suggestions.  I keep trying to manage so that I get less vm, but I end up every spring picking out bits of hay. I have an old Patrick Green picker, too, and it does speed things up.  I don't sell raw fleeces - they are just not clean enough for me to be happy selling them and by the time I pick out the trash I'm  more than halfway to processing it so I might as well just go ahead and process it.  I process almost all of my fleeces myself (I only shear 20 or so a year) and I'm happy with the processed fleece I end up with.  It's worth the time to me to spend the time taking the vm out since I end up with a saleable product. I have a motorized drum carder and I can also grab bits of trash I missed as it feeds into the carder.  I'm like Trish - I enjoy handling the fleece.   There's a whole story there, too, like in tree rings.  HMM - this weak spot in Milly's fleece looks like she hit a bad spot then.

I loved Juliet's comment > And finally, when you are wearing your sweater, pick out any bits
> still left in - that can provide months of fun :-)
I used to make sweaters for myself out of my handspun yarn and think I had to save the sweater to wear for "good".  After waiting for a year or so for some occasion that warranted wearing my sweater, I realized that I enjoyed wearing the sweater and since what I do most is hang around with the livestock, I'd just wear the sweater to the barn.  Now, the sweater that came from a fleece that I carefully cleaned every tiny bit of hay from, is usually covered with hay from me wearing it to feed the sheep :-}  PS - I can toss the sweater into the dryer on no heat and it will take out almost all the hay.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com