[Jacob-list] Horns on ram lamb

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Mon Mar 6 03:28:27 EST 2006

Our Jacobs tend to have horns that are on the small side. Ewes will have top horns that are 4 - 8 inches long.  Upright horns on rams are about 18 inches. The larger the sheep is, the larger the horns will tend to be. This is why it is a good idea to compare siblings.

Gary is right, that it is better to measure horn volume. I was thinking about it in terms of horn length as a simple estimate of the size of the horns. My guess is that the tip of a ram's horn will approximate the size of the ewe's horn.

If you want to compare horn volume, I suppose that you can measure the length and circumference at the base, the use calculations for the volume of a cone. A simpler method would be to fill a 5 gallon bucket to the rim with water. Pick up a sheep by the heels and dip a horn in the bucket. You can then measure the displacement by refilling the bucket with a graduated cylinder. Nah.

What I suspect that we might see is that there are varying ways that testosterone affect horn growth.

Neal

PS: My favorite quote on statistics is from Sylvia (bless her martini soaked neurons): "My weight is perfect for my height...which varies."