[Jacob-list] Green broke and horn break

Bill Hyslip slipclan at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 26 19:05:51 EDT 2006

Hi guys,

As most of you have figured out by now, this is my first year with Jacobs.  So far it has been an awesome experience.  When the lambing was all said and done this Spring, I ended up with 8 lovely ewe lambs and 1 studly little ram lamb with no problems whatsoever.  I DO have a couple of questions though.

#1.  5 out of 8 ewe lambs have broken a primary horn.  They are all growing out, but I was wondering if this is the norm?  I'm using some portable hay feeders and I suspect they are the culprit.

#2.  I know there are those who say that befriending a ram is taboo, but my 3 month old ram lamb makes it a habit of meeting me at the gate for scratches and petting.  It's kind of hard to resist seeing as how the rest of the sheep seem to barely acknowledge my presence unless it's feeding time.  Question is.......should I start ignoring the little guy for fear that he will become too comfortable and perhaps dangerous at some point in time?  What are your experiences with friendly rams?

Thanks in advance,

Bill Hyslip
Mountain Memories Farm