[Jacob-list] butchering lamb

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Tue Jun 20 08:24:36 EDT 2006

HI Linda,

I've personally not butchered a younger lamb, opting to wait for them to
grow out a bit like you.  However, many locals that buy locker lamb from us  love
doing pit lamb -- the size is ideal for smoking the entire animal slowly
either an all day event or overnight.  A Muslim doctor who buys from us  also
elects to roast the entire lamb in a large oven roaster and swears by its
tenderness and flavor.

We've been considering doing a pit lamb for July 4th cook out this  year.  A
friend of ours has huge BBQ pit roaster he constructed out of a 35  gallon
metal drum.  He also constructed an electric turner inside so  the unit is
self-sufficient in slowly cooking the meat.  Just check it  occasionally, baste or
inject marinade and, PRESTO -- ready for eating in a few  hours!  I'll let you
know how it turns out!

Cheryl
Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV  26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits