[Jacob-list] Coughing lambs

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Mon Jun 12 08:31:51 EDT 2006

Most of the time, drugs are formulated for use on cattle. You need to look to see if the label specifically mentions sheep; otherwise, you will need to consult with a vet.  In talking to our vet on dosage rates, we are in agreement that doubling the dosage for sheep because of their higher metabolism, and also young stock are often dosed 2X as compared to the adult rate.

I am a little leery of a diagnosis of bacterial pneumonia in a newborn lamb. In lambs or calves less than 3 days old, I would expect that the culprit is mechanical form inhaled fluids. Bacterial pneumonia generally occurs secondary to mechanical or viral pneumonia.

Neal Grose

PS: Why is it that if giving antibiotics to animals has resulted in antibiotic resistant bacteria in people, that penicillin still works in sheep and cows?

By the way, one of the few places where penicillin is still practically the only choice is in treatment of clostridia infections. The treatment is for near lethal doses of penicillin.