[Jacob-list] White legs

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri Jun 9 10:28:02 EDT 2006

As it happens, we received a JSBA Newsletter yesterday that had an excellent
letter (by Helen Smith to "The Ark" forwarded by Ingrid Painter) that
touched on white legs in British Jacobs:
"I believe, it was decided that the normal spotty legged sheep should be
bred out in favor of the fewer, white legged versions. It was felt that
'spotty legs detracted from the body markings'."

She goes on to say that an unintended consequence of white legs has been a
white hoof with an increased susceptibility to foot rot.

I would hazard a guess that breeding for white legs may also lead to too
much white on the face for my tastes. I do not think that it is likely that
black markings on the legs can be genetically separated from the proportion
of black on the body.

It seems to me that it would be difficult to breed for white legs without
reducing the over-all black area of the animal. This may indeed reduce the
tendency to have freckling, but things are probably more complicated than
that.

We know (Ok, I have observed over the course of the last twenty years with
Jacob sheep and 49.95 years with piebald cattle) that there are several
variants of the piebald genes. Large distinct black markings are genetically
distinct from more numerous, smaller ones. "White faces" (small or
non-existent eye-patches) tend to be a dominant trait and may be genetically
linked to the smaller marking variant (and in my experience, are linked to
more flighty dispositions). Some, but not all, freckling can be linked to
crossing these variants of spotting.

Neal Grose