[Jacob-list] Banding question

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 1 12:06:21 EDT 2006

--Sara wrote:
>I ended up with two late lambs this year and our weather is like mid
summer. I've been advised by several people to cut the tails >off of the
recently banded babies to avoid fly problems. I'm a little concerned about
this as it seems that with just the bands, there >are no open sores, but if
you cut them you would then have that and that seems more risky. However,
if cutting them would be >best, what about the castration bands? Same
thing?
>Thanks for your help!
=============
My neighbor is a veterinarian so she surgically removes (cuts) the tail.
Sometimes there is blood spurting out from the wound.  She closes the wound
using a cauterizer which applies heat and 'burns' the wound closed.  Must
hurt like -----.  I have also used the rubber bands on other lambs when
there are too few lambs to justify paying the vet fees.  If you have a
cauterizer, go ahead and cut.  If not, I would use the bands.  Watch for
infections and don't short dock.  The tail should completely cover the
vaginal area and the same length applies to the rams/wethers.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho