[Jacob-list] re: chickens and sheep

Judy Watson jwatson at centex.net
Sat Jul 29 13:13:04 EDT 2006

Can I put chickens in with my sheep?

Sara,
	How big of an area do have for them?  I have a couple of
chickens that range free around my house and barns.  They come and go
over the fences as they please and roost in trees.  They coexist with my
goats very nicely except when kidding season comes - for some reason
they like to peck at very young kids' area under their tails.  They have
on occasion caused minor bleeding.  More of a nuisance than anything.
I've also seen them suddenly flock together to back off an adult that is
trying to intimidate them.  They are very useful because they constantly
scratch at the left over hay from the mangers and keep it from packing
down so it is easier for me to clean up.
	Mind you my experience is mainly around goats, but I've had a
few sheep from time to time and they seemed to get along as well.

Judy Watson                                        325-938-5403 hm.
Rt. 2 Box 287                                      325-451-0209 cell
330 CR 427
Goldthwaite, TX  76844

I-Diamond-I Ranch                         www.IDiamondI.com