[Jacob-list] Please help if you can

neeets at netscape.net neeets at netscape.net
Thu Jul 13 15:51:40 EDT 2006

Dear Group,

   I have a friend who has a sheep that is very ill, this is horrible
and I have exhausted all my thoughts... any ideas would help..., some
of the bottom letters could be redundant as I copied and pasted. Thank
you in advance

 Anita
 Oklahoma

  Well. History: I bought these 3 Katahdin sheep about 4-5 weeks ago. I
gave them Cydectin then. I do not know if they had CD/T shots. They
have been doing great on Dumor (TSC) pellets with hay on the side.
Sometimes a small amount of alfalfa pellets mixed in with feed pellets
to eke out the hay if it was getting low (hay is hard to get around
here right now)

  On Thursday she cracked a horn. More a horn-wannabe. about 3" long -
Katahdin are a mostly polled hair breed - no wool. I went to the dog
shows over the weekend and it was gone when I came home Sunday night.
She was fine Monday, and the stump is clean and dry, with no indication
of infection or maggots. Her eyelids are a good deep pink, no jaundice
that I can see. Urine looks normal and pale.

  Yesterday I thought she may be trying to bloat. I gave her
oil/water/baking soda mixed together, then the same with ground ginger
added later in the day (someone wrote and said it was good for bloat)
Her body looks normal today. She doesn't look "puffy". However, when I
checked on her late last night/early this morning she was laid on her
side with her legs out stiff. I can get her on her feet, and she stays
up a short while, then down again. I have syringed more of the baking
soda stuff in, along with some Vit B tabs ground up (I don't have the
Vit B injectable right now - am going out to get some in a minute or
two) and some molasses. Hoped that would give her a bit of energy.

 ground ginger works real well on bloat as well.

 I have some of that - can't hurt...

 <<Is this ewe up to date on CDT? changes in feed or other stress? >>

  I have only had her about 5 weeks. I honestly don't know what
vaccinations she has had or when. Her feed has changed - she was on
pasture before I got her with hay available - but she seemed to be
doing fine till today. She did get that chopped alfalfa and alfalfa
pellets rather than hay over the weekend because we ran out and I
couldn't find any locally. They get the Dumor sheep pellets from TSC
and usually some hay each day. I can't think of anything particularly
stressful that might have happened. I was away at the dog shows. The
young man who looks after my animals says she was fine till today.

  Worming - She had 3cc Cydectin pretty much as soon as I got her, per
her former owner's advice. Her eyelids are a good deep pink.

 <<Mine can get dumpy acting if low on Se/E.>>

  How do you know if they are not getting enough? Sorry to sound so
dumb. I thought the pellets had everything they needed...

 Have you seperated her from the others?

 Yes. She is laid in my living room <G>

 <<How is everyone else? >>

 Everyone else seems normal.

 <<what kind of penicllin is it? >>

  Pen B long acting penicillin. A mix of penicillin G benzathene and
peicillin G procaine.

 <<Have you asked a vet? >>

  Yes. One says he doesn't know much about sheep - he only deals with
cattle in the way of livestock, the other's receptionist says he only
deals with pets. Neither seem at all interested.
  My girl is still here, though still down. She remains alert, has a
swallowing reflex, rumen activity. I am continuing the Vit B and the
penicillin. So far she has had 3L of SQ fluid, but I feel that I need
to be giving fluid orally. I am going out now to get Entrolyte and some
tubing.

  My question is - what diameter tubing do I need, and how much of it?
Is the clear plastic best? Anyone got a good website with pictures on
tubing? I have tubed baby puppies but never a large animal.

  Another question - do you give more than one shot of tetanus
anti-toxin?

 How is she doing?

  Badly. She is not moving except for muscle contractions that are not
voluntary. I am giving subQ fluids still, and will give more Vit B,
another tetanus shot, more penicillin... also some more oral stuff. I
am not very hoipeful, though. Please pray for her.