[Jacob-list] Polio

Katherine Wisor creeksendfarm at mac.com
Tue Jan 31 21:24:32 EST 2006

   Lambing is over for me.  15 total  last count .   He was taken
well by his mother until one week of age. She has been bred many
times with no problem  I don't think colostrum is a issue.  He is
alert, just flaccid hide end first.   Plus I've done this for years
and had many animals never given colostrum  with long healthy lives.
Some have lived to 12-15 years with no problem.    Hypoglycemia  is
not the problem , no other s/s .  Dr Bob said give no B complex .  I
have both here .    I have not  seen WMD. BUT may be looking at it
now.   Funny he was fine with the first treatment for about 4 days.
THEN  relapse,  plus.   They have a mineral block in the pasture.   I
gave him 2 cc B  , 2 of Thiamine,  2 of Dextrometasone this
morning.   I don't have Selenium .  I'll call tomorrow during work
and ask my Vet.      My down fall as a farmer is culling. I try to do
that at a young age by selling as a only "child"  or neutering the
males.     I also can say "never say never"  the ewe , Llama , goat
etc seems to plan amongst themselves  to give you  what ever
experience you're missing from you portfolio  !   This lamb may need
to be put down but that what my X said he is here to help with !
The lamb I'm raising is from  a jacob mix 12 years old never a
problem , She just forgot she had TWO babies this time.  Timber is
under my feet sleeping as I write.  Can't wait to have to explain to
her  she is a SHEEP  not a Doberman...    Thanks for your  help...
PS  I left him at Jeff house tonight so he won't need to be dragged
from one house to another while I work 12 hours  .  Jeff is aware for
the need to reposition  often .  No sign of Pneumonia  and he is
taking a bottle well. Just paralyzed (  A paraplegic) !   I just
don't see a positive outcome.  If he lives I will neuter him.    I'll
let you know if we find the cause and PERMANENT solution >
Gratefully >  Katherine
www.creeksendfarm.com

Katherine Wisor RN
  400 Dawn Circle