[Jacob-list] In-breeding

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 27 22:57:46 EST 2006

      I got several sheep from others that are 13-15% inbred. The one that was 25% I no longer have (died in the barn - think she got her foot caught and panicked). I was going to do 7% for one of this year's offspring until I got an outbred ram and now can avoid that.  I don't see a problem with my other ewes that are kind of high.  I am supposed to be getting a different out-breed lilac ram that is himself 13.5%  Crossing him with my 12.5% girl yields .4%. vs .0% for another lilac ewe, herself 0.0.  This is from BA.

spotted_sheep at bluefrog.com wrote:   Hi all, how much in-breeding is to much? is 6.4 to much?
Thanks
Marie