[Jacob-list] What I learned from the day it first snowed 14" on our farm.....

Karen karen at benjaminfarms.com
Fri Jan 20 19:00:01 EST 2006

1.   Don't laugh at your sheep as they are trying to manuaver their way
around in their yards, from your nice warm place in the house,  until
after you have experience going outside.
2.    You can not use a sled to move a bale of hay........ snow 14",
sled height 8".
3.    You can not push a wheel barrow or pull a wheel barrow thru the
snow with a bale of hay in it.
4.    A 35lb. bale of hay instantly weights 75+lbs when it has 3" of
snow on it.
5.     It takes 4 trips from the hay barn, to the animal yard, to bring
one bale of hay.  The sheep are convinced that I am putting them on a
diet when I bring such small quantiles at a time for them to eat and
complain loudly that they are being starved.
6.   Thank goodness for those little paths that the sheep create in
their yards.
7.    This has got to be a mathmaticial equation.  To push or pull a 10'
fence to a 90 degree angle + pushing or pulling the circumstance of 14"
of snow = alot of work.
8.    When your husband comes home from work and wants to use the snow
blower.... and you suggest "why don't you try use the tractor"(which I
did not know was not 4 wheel drive) and he has never tried removing snow
with it before..... let him use the snow blower. Snow blowers create
alot less holes or trenches.
9.    After 4 trips to the hay barn if you use the exact same path, you
can just about pull a wheel barrow with hay in it.
10.    Don't shovel your walks before you do your chores.
11.    Most important, if you are old and you make it back to the
house... take Advell before you go to bed, if you are hoping to get up
in the morning.
Karen Sigler
Benjamin Farms  Utah