[Jacob-list] excellent reading for knitters and wool lovers

Ralene Mitschler rmitschler at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 13:01:24 EST 2006

Have found the perfect book about wool---

"What's not to love about wool?  For starters, think of one incredible
fact.  The world has come a long way, and astonishing and intriguing
machines arrive every day, but there is still not a machine on this earth
that will shear a sheep.  Every ball of wool starts with some man or woman
somewhere in the world, a complete stranger to you, holding fast to a
pissed-off sheep while cutting its fleece free.  Every single ball.  Just
imagine it.  Every ball of wool you and I have ever knit, all the balls of
wool in the world in every country in the whole history of the world thus
far, came from the sweat and grit of a person wrestling a hot, dirty,
furious sheep."

 page 121 of Yarn Harlot:  The secret life of a Knitter by Stephanie
Pearl-McPhee.

I am reading this book aloud to anyone I can make captive!  The dogs and
cats are hiding.....  Even the Jacobs sheep won't come near their treats if
the book is in hand....but it is the best thing I have read in years.  I am
hoping for the play and the movie now  : )
Ralene
--
Ralene Mitschler
Chicory Lane Farm Jacob sheep