[Jacob-list] ya' know,

Melody Hale critterland at bendcable.com
Fri Jan 6 16:56:10 EST 2006

Betty, I'm sorry to hear that you are not well, and the news about your ram is very sad.
I agree--if we wanted all our sheep to look just alike and be perfect to type, we would probably not be raising Jacobs.   Despite the occasional bouts of frustration, and the general ups and downs of lambing, I wouldn't have it any other way, really--but you know that complaining is the great American pastime LOL.  I love the variation in color, pattern, horns, and the whole works--but I also love to fuss about that "perfect ram" lurking just over the horizon.  I have just a small flock, and they are definitely not clones!  There is a wide range of wool types, 2 & 4 horned, some small and some of a bit larger bloodline. There is a very freckly ewe whose fleece has been spoken for in advance for the remainder of her life (or of the spinner's),  and a ewe with far more black than is "desirable" and the greying to boot--which has resulted in a fleece that is about 80% beautiful light silvery grey, and also very marketable.  It is obvious, to anyone seeing my flock, that while I do have some preferences I am not creating my own strain of "CritterLand Jacobs"--nor do I care to. The variety and uniqueness of each sheep is what attracted me to the breed to begin with.  I may never make any major contributions to the preservation or study of the breed--I have neither the land nor the $$ to be a major mover and shaker--  but even though I do join the dream team in search of that perfect animal,  I say "viva la difference!".    I, too, love surprises.
Melody