[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Susan J Martin stcroft at ptd.net
Thu Jan 5 21:37:20 EST 2006

Melody, you really summed it up -- you voiced the very same frustration every one of us has felt.   And to take it one step further -- I have also at one time or another been on the quest for the "perfect" ewe who would then be mated with the "perfect" ram, to hopefully produce "perfect" lambs..........only to be sadly disappointed.   At one point in time in the past  I had purchased a beautiful ewe from out West -- she had beautiful, strong four horn conformation, perfect markings, perfect lineage and wouldn't you know it -- she consistently produced ewe lambs with scurs!!!!  A beautiful ram lamb with to die for horns can grow up and suddenly those beautiful horns take a turn and grow straight into his cheek.    I really despise freckling -- and it is a very heritable trait -- but it can pop up out of no where just like all these other traits.  A ram with beautiful horns may have awful fleece, or the horns and fleece are great but he's a demon on wheels and not to be trusted, or he is very nearly perfect but only throws ram lambs.....and on and on.......I've given up trying to be scientific about all of this -- let us know, Chris,  how your quest for the Holy Grail progresses!!!

Sue Martin
Stonecroft Manor
"The meadows are clothed with flocks of sheep...They all shout and sing for joy!"
Psa. 65:13