[Jacob-list] Lambs and beyond...

Melody Hale critterland at bendcable.com
Thu Jan 5 19:40:24 EST 2006

Anyone know of a good four-horned, blue-eyed Jacobs Ram that may be available next fall?
Thanks,
-Chris

<ahem--clearing throat>  la la la.......beautiful dreeeaamer........LOL
The eternal search for the perfect ram--the one thing that all Jacob breeders have in common.   Believe me--the perfect ram is permanently ensconced in someone else's pasture.  And if you find one, and manage to purchase him, he will immediately become vicious, break off both lateral horns at odd levels, and sire nothing but ram lambs. (do you hear the voice of frustration speaking?)

 I'm awaiting the first offspring of a new ram this spring--he has very nice wool, a gentle personality, horns not bad, and hopefully he will at least sire a couple of nice ewe lambs as replacements.   He is no exception to the above rule, though--about 3 months ago he jumped a fence in amorous pursuit of a goat in heat, encountered a large and equally amorous buck goat, and got one lateral broken right at the skull.  It didn't break off, has regrown solid, but now hangs straight down along his jaw. (What is it with rams and female goats, anyway?  Every ram I have had has tried to go after my does, even when running with a nice harem of ewes. My buck goats, being much more sensible about romance, at least stick to their own species.)
Good luck in the search!
Melody