[Jacob-list] mangolds

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Feb 8 15:27:01 EST 2006

Mangolds are great for sheep and they really love them.  They are
particularly good for milkiness.  However, do not let them eat the green
tops which tend to appear towards Spring - it is these which are reputed to
be poisonous to sheep, although I do not know the mechanism. They are mainly
grown for cattle.
Here in Scotland many people feed 'neeps' (turnip, swede or rutabaga ) to
their sheep, either chopped in the trough or as 'pick your own' in the
field - the only problem we have found with these is that they tend to
shorten the life of sheep teeth, and hence the life of the sheep itself, but
bought ready shredded I can see no problem (or if you do not intend to keep
your flock past 6 yrs).
Small upland farms here have a sort of fodder rotation, where they grow one
field of barley, one of neeps and one of grass hay, with a fourth reseeded
for grass, and the rest as pasture.
Juliet in Scotland UK