[Jacob-list] Paralyzed lamb

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 6 12:01:07 EST 2006

I received this from the sheep-list.  Poor lamb, we are trying so many
different things on him.  Maybe this will work.
Cathy
++++++++
I don't think the tetanus vaccine is causing this; it sounds nutritional. I
think it could
be floppy kid syndrome. This is uncommon with sheep because they generally
aren't bottle fed, but dairy goat breeders see this often.
http://www.saanendoah.com/fkscornell.html Basically, the lamb is eating too
much at a time, and it's system isn't getting a chance to clean itself pout.
The milk is souring and setting up toxemia. Tell her to try taking the
little guy off all milk and dose him with two teaspoons baking soda
dissolved in a cup of warm water. Wait a couple of hours, and repeat. (If
the lamb is sucking well, you can add a little molasses to the nipple to get
him started, as the taste is definitely not going to be what he's used to)
Also, instead of starting it back with milk, give electrolytes in water from
the bottle for at least 24 to 48 hours, then gradually replace part of the
electrolytes with the milk. Give smaller amounts at more frequent feedings.
Afterall, a ewe only gives her lambs a dab of milk (3 to 4 ounces at most)
at a time. Ewe's milk is rich in fat, so the lamb has just enough to keep
it's blood sugar levels up and avoid a crash before it gets hungry and bumps
her for another snack.
Good luck with the little guy.