[Jacob-list] Vaccinations

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 6 11:55:24 EST 2006

--Linda wrote:
>I've never heard that ewes 'outgrow' their need for vaccinations.  I do my
own vaccinations, but feel pretty sure that my vet would agree >that yearly
booster shots are called for no matter what the age of the ewe.  If you
aren't vaccinating your older ewes, then what about >their lambs?  They
aren't going to be born with the benefits of the vaccination if their
mother didn't get vaccinated.
============
My vet has the view that there is too much vaccinations going on when it is
not needed.  She claims to have a more 'progressive' view.  She might be
right, the dog vets have reduced the amount of vaccinations given, I forgot
which one(s).  She told me that older ewes develop resistance to disease
problems over time.  They pass on the resistance to their young lambs,
which lasts about one month.  OTOH, younger ewes need the annual CD&T
vaccinations.  I'm sure there is no problem with yearly vaccinations for
older ewes. I am going with my own vet's advice.
>We vaccinate the lambs with CD&T (includes tetanus) at one month and then
they get a booster at two months of age.  My neighbor is my vet, I get a
discount, it's a neighborly thing to do.
Cathy