[Jacob-list] Paralyzed lamb

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 5 23:20:56 EST 2006

>;;;;(snip)..vaccinated for tetanus at one week old. Still takes a bottle
>well. Hide quarters more effected that front and head. Although is
>totally flaccid a few days after treatment . More Idea's ????
========
You mention vaccinated for tetanus at one week old.  For one thing....why?
I don't think I have heard of doing that in a lamb so young.  Some
vaccinate the pregnant ewe, I think it is with CD&T, so the lamb picks it
up from the mother.  My vet only vaccinates the young mothers, she believes
the older ewes don't need it anymore.  She might be right, I've never had a
problem.  Anyway, back to the injection of a lamb at one week.  I would ask
around (vets, etc) if that could be a problem.  Also, sometimes, the needle
(maybe the contents) can hit or damage a nerve, might be easy to do in a
young lamb.  Hopeful someone on this list can answer about vaccinating a
one-week-old lamb.  I asked on sheep-l, lots of sheep vets there.
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho