[Jacob-list] sheep polio

Ronnasmcb at aol.com Ronnasmcb at aol.com
Sat Feb 4 21:21:20 EST 2006

Hello,
Let me start with a disclaimer, usually I wouldn't pass this on since I have
no accurate science, but I know the desperate feeling of what to do with a
lamb... obviously a veterinarian's advise would be best.  At some point I had a
bottle lamb with similar symptoms and somewhere along the way of raising
hoofstock babies I remembered we added vit E to the bottle, couldn't remember how
much, for how long, dosage, etc., so in my desperation I tried  this when I had
a bottle lamb with wobbly legs.  The only Vit E I could find comes in oil base
in a capsule... I put a pinhole in 3 capusles Vit E capsules and squeezed
this into the bottle of milk, every other bottle.  I don't know the science, and
there could be oh, so many other factors, but within 24-36 hours the lamb
improved.  I have since done this several times with success... just treated for a
few days until I saw improvement.  Bo-Se would be better but if you don't
have any this may be an option - no guarantees!  I would be interested to hear
what others know about this.  BTW we are considered to be in an area of adequate
selenium so I never give mother raised lambs Bo-Se and haven't seen a problem
with them (out of about 90 lambs).  Good luck-
Marilyn McBirney
Rising Sun Farm
Pueblo,  CO